We believe that the strongest advocates for the issues that matter to us are young, everyday people who are ready for big change. Our paid, semester-long Civic Leadership Program (CLP) is an opportunity for CLP fellows to learn and develop civic leadership skills while directly supporting the administrative needs of the most impactful voter registration organization in Texas.
This is not your typical fellowship program. We offer an immersive educational experience rooted in mentorship, growing youth leaders at the local level, and owning a role in our statewide impact. Our fellows work directly with staff across our departments to develop the necessary skills to work in the social impact sector, with the intentions that they leave our program better prepared to contribute to the progressive ecosystem in Texas.
Our CLP is often described as young peoples’ first step in becoming civically engaged. We are proud to have graduated over 250 fellows across the state since 2015. Alumni have gone on to grow as presidents of student organizations and secure nationally recognized internships. They’ve organized political and advocacy campaigns and worked for local government officials. They’ve participated in Teach for America and served internationally with the Peace Corps. And ~50% of our staff are MOVE Texas alumni!
Experiential Learning & Mentorship
- Work directly with our staff and contribute to real-time projects that have short-term and long-term impacts at the local and statewide level
- Learn how to effectively register young voters in your city
- Develop essential volunteer engagement skills and lead your own volunteer shifts
- Learn about local advocacy efforts and how to make lasting political change
- Participate in weekly leadership training
- Complete weekly readings and assignments
- Coordinate local community-building MOVEment events with the support of staff
Prepare to Work in the Knowledge Economy
- Develop foundational life skills (like budgeting and communication) and basic project management skills
- Build healthy work habits
- Discover your natural strengths and channel them into your next leadership opportunity
Who & What We Are Looking For
- Requirements: Must be 18 – 24 years old and legally eligible to work in the United States.
- Diversity: Texas is a diverse state, and diversity matters to us. People of color, women, non-binary folks, and bilingual speakers are highly encouraged to apply
- Motivation: You’re interested in this work because you’re both tired of living in a democracy that doesn’t advocate for everyday working-class people, and are ready for some real-world action to make lasting change. You are dedicated to taking what you learn here and growing as a progressive leader for your community
- Experience: You’re a servant leader. This means you believe and act in a way that serves others by putting others’ needs in front of or alongside yours. This could look like supporting your family, being involved in community and faith-based organizations, or student organizations
- Commitment: The program is a 25 hour per week commitment for the semester. Fifteen hours will dedicated to the leadership development curriculum with our education team. Ten hours will be with our field organizing team focusing on voter and volunteer engagement gearing up for the November election. Then, collaborating with our advocacy team to prepare for the upcoming Texas legislative session
- Availability: You’re generally available Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:00pm. Must be available Friday mornings, 10am – 12:30pm central time for virtual leadership training with the CLP class
Spring 2021 Placements
● Austin, Corpus Christi, Dallas,
Denton, Fort-Worth, Houston,
Laredo, San Antonio, San Marcos /
● 10 fellowships will be offered total
● Virtual program due to COVID-19.
Some in-person work may be
considered in select counties if it
meets our in-person criteria.
- Paid positions at $15 per hour
- Monthly stipend includes phone and wifi per diem
- Eligible for paid time off
- Be part of the MOVE Texas fam! Join our alumni network for over 300 graduates
Priority deadline is Friday November 20, 2020. Interviews will be held Monday November 30 through Wednesday December 4. Program runs Monday January 11, 2021 through Friday May 7, 2021.
Contact email@example.com for more information.