Carbon Free Healthy Schools Overview
Climate justice is a hot topic on the minds of young people. Growing concerns about the worsening climate are shared worldwide as we see more natural disasters like wildfires, extreme freezes, deadly hurricanes, and more; however, the vision of a green future remains just as vibrant. While here in Austin, we can’t solve the climate crisis alone, we can do our part to take bold climate action starting in our schools!
As an integral part of our communities, school districts have a responsibility to reduce their own carbon footprint by transitioning to clean energy and providing a healthy learning environment. That’s why MOVE Texas has partnered with community organizations, teachers, and union workers to advocate for a Carbon Free and Healthy Schools platform.
Community engagement, specifically the voices of students and young people, is necessary to decarbonize our schools. We believe artists can play a special role in this effort by inspiring and engaging your friends, family, and neighbors. Through art, we can visualize what a clean future would be like where our schools serve as a model for green infrastructure, are healthier and safer for students, create good union jobs, and save millions in energy costs.
Green Schools Prompt
Here’s where you come in! Create an original artwork that addresses how schools can combat the climate crisis. Creatively communicate the topic of climate action in an approachable, beautiful, joyful, and accessible way.
This prompt is meant to inspire and guide you. Please feel free to expand on it – do not feel limited. Consider:
- Embracing positivity and even humor
- Communicating a clear and simple message
- Avoiding doom and gloom
- Including CFHS Platform Recommendations
- Submissions must be visual art
- Contest open until Nov. 10 before midnight.
- Who may enter?
- Students aged 14+ who live or go to school in Austin are encouraged to participate regardless of which school or college they attend within the city.
Visual Art Submissions may include:
- Drawing & illustration
- Sculpture and ceramics
- Graphic Design
- Mixed media & collage
- Fashion and Jewelry
- Data visualization & infographics
- Grow your skills in communication, critical thinking, creativity, and climate justice advocacy. Use your artwork to raise awareness for critical environmental issues.
- Build your portfolio of artwork and add it to your resume!
- Receive a special opportunity to be mentored by the MOVE Texas National Artist of Texas Council and have your artwork used on MOVE Texas’s social media and printed as a poster.
- Join the MOVEment of other young people in Austin and across the state who care about environmental justice and climate action.
- Win a merch pack and gift card worth up to $500!
The 2022 Green Schools Student Art Contest results will be announced at the end of November 2022. Winners and their sponsors will be notified via email before the results are publicly announced.
The judge’s panel comprises MOVE Texas Artist Fellows and MOVE Texas staff. They will consider:
- How well submissions address the annual theme of the Contest;
- Demonstration of artistic voice, originality, and imagination;
- Craftsmanship, including quality, technique, and skill in the chosen medium; attention to detail; and accuracy in communicating issues; and
- If a submission meets category requirements (such as length, file type, etc.).
- This competition is open to all artists 14 years of age or older; however, you must be a resident of the City of Austin or attend a school located within city limits.
- The artwork must be original
- You must be the creator of the art and image file. Your art must be your own original concept and not a copy of anyone else’s copyrighted work. If your artwork infringes upon another’s copyright, it will be disqualified. Upon submitting your work to this competition, you are solely responsible for any infringement of copyrighted materials.
- We reserve the right to request proof that your entry is your original artwork created solely by you. Non-compliance to this will result in disqualification.
- The artist retains all copyrights to their artwork without exception.
- By entering this art competition, you are granting us a non-exclusive perpetual license to reproduce images of your artwork, and in the marketing of the art competitions to the general public. Winning entries may be displayed on the movetexas.org website and will be shared on social media.
- Artwork may be submitted up until midnight CST on October 31st. No artwork will be accepted past the posted deadline.
- Winners shall be solely responsible for all federal, state, and local taxes.