Issue Advocacy Internship
MOVE Texas Issue Advocacy Internship Job Description
Destined to make an impact in your community and across the state? Want to join the movement to make Texas a stronger democracy? Well, we have the position for you! The MOVE Texas Internship provides the opportunity to build community leadership and field management skills, meet local elected officials, publish deep-dive research and writing on public policy issues you care about, and register thousands of young people at the same time. Issue Advocacy Internships are offered in Austin, Bexar, Hays/Guadalupe, and Webb County.
What You’ll Do:
- Assist the issue advocacy fellows in leading citywide events like MOVE U: Know Your Rights, DACA renewal clinics, Paid Sick Time information sessions, and other advocacy events
- Assist the issue advocacy fellows and advocacy manager in attending coalition meetings, City Council meetings, etc to take detailed notes that will inform our advocacy strategies
- Learn directly from elected officials, community leaders, and public professionals and build a strong local political network
- Participate in real-time research at City Hall and the Texas Capitol to write on public policy issues that interest you
- Visit the Texas Capitol and Capitol Hill to lobby elected officials about your policy recommendations
- Gain in-depth knowledge about the following issues: immigration reform, criminal justice, voting rights, economic justice, LGBTQ+ rights, and more
- Work 10-15 unpaid hours per week, including some nights and weekends
- DREAMers, DACA recipients, and undocumented youth are highly encouraged to apply
What You’ll Get:
- College-level credit (per your education institution’s requirements)
- First class field organizing experience – former MOVE Texas Fellows and Interns are running political campaigns, working for elected officials, managing nonprofit field teams, and interning in Washington, D.C.
- A first-hand understanding of the political process in Texas
- Bragging rights for changing the world!
Please complete the fellowship application on our website and email your resume and class schedule (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: MOVE Texas Issue Advocacy Internship.
Questions? Email our Leadership Manager, Alyssa Pope, at email@example.com